Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Conan's first Tonight Show


I was nervous for him, and I'm sure I wasn't alone. Personally, part of what draws me to Conan is the feeling that he really shouldn't be on television. I don't mean that in a "OMG he's such a trainwreck that it's awesome" kind of way, I mean it in an "Arrested Development got three seasons, According to Jim got eight" way. As amazing as I think Conan is, I always worried about him trying for something beyond Late Night. Not because I didn't think he'd be up to the standard, but because I feared what the crushing pressure to be bland and generic would do to him.

Leno was king of the least objectionable. He practically made a career out of mocking the OJ Simpson trial with dancers dressed as Judge Ito. Not terribly funny, but also unlikely to get the angry mail that legitimately funny things get. Contrast that to Conan's running bits, ESPECIALLY the masturbating bear. They're wacky, they're extremely funny, and are practically guaranteed to anger someone. The bear was wisely retired during one of the final episodes of Late Night, but that doesn't mean he was suddenly safe. He can't be safe, because then he ceases to be Conan O'Brien. So I was worried we were in a lose/lose situation. Either he would stay Conan and be rejected by the mainstream audience, or he would play to them and cease to be the host we loved.

I'm happy to report it wasn't the latter, he was Conan all the way. Now we get to find out what everyone else thinks. I'm just hoping they liked what they saw anywhere near as much as I did.

Just a few quick notes:
  • I was focusing so much on Andy's introductions that I completely missed the fact that the theme was the same as the one on Late Night. I thought it was playing in my head to be honest, cause I thought I'd never hear it again after he left Late Night.
  • Great idea to have the Universal Studio's tram segment on the first show. These "Conan out in the world" segments have always been fantastic, and they're a good way for the new audience to get an accessible taste of Conan's comedy.
  • It felt strange only having Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam on, as it made the show feel empty only having two guests instead of three. I mean, it was great to get extra Conan, but it still felt odd. Even if it had been two sit-down guests it probably wouldn't have seemed as strange. I know why they did it, I'm just surprised how bizarre any change to that format can seem.
  • I couldn't get over how much bigger the studio audience is in the new studio. I'd say the days of the audience becoming a character of their own is gone, but you never know. Sorry, I'm still getting used to not worrying about this change. I just need to trust that quality will win out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment